1. What is your favorite memory from high school?
Getting applause after taking a trumpet solo in a jazz band concert and thinking I was soooooooo badass (I was not).
2. What is your least favorite memory from high school?
Watching people I knew being relentlessly picked on and doing nothing to stop it. Also, watching TRL - I'll never get those hours back.
3. What was your most played song/album/singer when you were a teenager?
I loved Aphex Twin, Dave Mathews Band, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, and Rage Against the Machine. I just couldn't pick an identity!
4. What was your favorite movie from your teenage years?
I was a big Star Wars fan, but I would sneak downstairs to watch American Beauty on HBO after my parents were asleep and it blew my mind. I also liked the movie Vanilla Sky (I watched it again years later and cringed for two hours).
5. If you had to give yourself a superlative in high school, what would it have been?
I was voted "Most Musical" but I should have been voted "Most Afraid of Girls."
6. If you had to give yourself a superlative now, what would it be?
"Most Afraid of Girls"
7. If you could go back to high school, what would you differently?
Honestly, I'd work less hard at certain things (turns out I haven't actually used Calculus in the real world) and I'd work harder at things like music and performing. I'd also try to help friends who were being bullied instead of just letting it happen.
8. Describe your teenage fashion sense in five words or less.
Whatever my mom bought me.
BPB Yearbook: A Throwback Cabaret will be presented November 9th at 7 PM and November 10th at 8 PM at Davenport's Piano Bar & Cabaret (1383 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago). Tickets are $15 and there is a two-drink minimum.
Brown Paper Blog
Making theatre. Writing about it. Maybe some hilarious Youtube cat videos in between.